Friday, May 27, 2011

The town where all vegetables come from

Well, the title of this post is maybe exaggerating things just a little bit. However, I have to give Nova Kakhovka and its surrounding region (the Kherson oblast) props for being such a nutrient-filled land. During the warmer months, especially, one can eat very well for little money.



Today, for example, I filled my trusty, sturdy plastic bag with butterflies printed all over it (plus, it says the word "Butterflies" on it in big, cursive italic letters) with my purchases from my favorite sidewalk vendor outside my building. I left with a head of cauliflower, a few green garlic stalks, some onions, carrots, and zucchini. The total was 17 UAH. Although I shouldn't convert that to dollars because that takes everything out of context (living cost wise and income wise in Ukraine, etc.), it is approximately 2 dollars, for those not living in Ukraine. That is inexpensive (for Ukraine, too.) I often see fruits/vegetables in other parts of Ukraine with a sign next to it saying "from the Kherson region" and with the prices hiked up quite a bit.

The tree kind of defeats the purpose of this photo, but I'll post it anyway. This is the view out of my bedroom window. If you look closely, you can see some people sitting on the sidewalk with bags full of products. That makes it pretty easy to shop - I can literally look out my window to see what's available before making the long journey to the outside of my building.



There are many reasons to love Ukraine, and this is just one of them!

No comments:

Post a Comment